Project Background: The District has more than 75,000 lights installed on our streets, alleys and other public spaces. The lights use a variety of inefficient bulb technologies, including incandescent and high-pressure sodium. The District is seeking a private partner to retrofit the lights with more energy efficient light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs, install a remote monitoring and control system, and repair and maintain the facilities under a long-term performance-based contract. An additional opportunity exists to incorporate smart city technologies in the light facilities that provide broadband WiFi and sensors, among other things. Such technologies could leverage the District’s 100-gigabit fiber network, DC-Net, or utilize privately owned data facilities.
- District Department of Transportation (DDOT)
- Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO)
Status: In Procurement
The District has held several community meetings to brief residents and other stakeholders on the project and will continue to provide additional opportunities for individuals to provide feedback. To receive further updates on the projects and to find out about upcoming events, please sign-up for our newsletter by visiting https://op3.dc.gov/page/contact-op3.
- Smart Lighting Public Meeting Presentation (Published March 11, 2018)
- Smart Lighting February Public Meetings Attendee List (Published March 11, 2018)
A Request for Qualifications (RFQ) was issued on June 21, 2017. Respondents provided Statements of Qualifications (SOQ) describing their team and approach to delivering the Project on August 28, 2017. Following the District’s review and evaluation of SOQs, the District will prequalify a number of teams, who will be the only Shortlisted Proposers invited to participate in a subsequent Request for Proposal (RFP) process. Final technical and performance specifications are currently under development and will be made available in the RFP.
- Request for Qualifications (Amended August 18, 2017)
- District receives 11 bids for streetlight project (Released September 22, 2017)
The District hosted an industry forum to discuss this project on January 24-25, 2017 at One Judiciary Square, 441 4th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001. It was an opportunity for potential bidders of all sizes and types to learn about the project goals and anticipated procurement process and share their feedback. Please find additional information from the event in the documents below and stay tuned for updates on the project.
- Event Flyer and Draft Agenda (PDF)
- Request for Information (Published January 6, 2017) (PDF)
- Event Presentation (Published January 30, 2017) (PDF)
- Event Attendee List (Published January 30, 2017) (PDF)
- Industry Forum Frequently Asked Questions (Published March 16, 2017) (PDF)
(Last Updated 6/7/2018)